Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The beauty really does grow on you...

I remember very well when we first moved from western Washington state where I grew up to Utah I thought, 'oh my gosh this is so ugly'. I was in between my ninth and tenth year of high school. I loved the green grass and the green trees of Washington. The mountains were covered in the most beautiful pine trees and everything always smelled so good. Well, usually it smelled like rain but to me that was beautiful. Then we moved to Utah and the mountains had no trees on them. The landscape was different and the summers were HOT. After a few years Utah beauty grows on you. Now I look at the mountains and think about how majestic they are and I see the beauty around me. When I was newly married my husband and I moved to Idaho; Meridian, Idaho to be exact. We loved it there. We thought the mountains were beautiful, the trees were wonderful. We loved to drive up towards McCall and see the river and pine trees. In the Fall when the trees would lose their leaves it was a sight to behold. I know it's no East Coast, but to us it was Heaven on Earth.

A few years ago we moved to Las Vegas. It is a desert here in all aspects. The ground is only green if you water the heck out of it, or put in fake grass (which even some houses in our neighborhood have by the way). SOME of the trees lose their leaves, however, not in the gorgeous way you see in some other states. But, like I said in the title, the beauty really does grow on you. It's a different kind of beauty, the raw, ruggedness kind. The beauty of Washington state is different than the beauty of Utah, which is different than the beauty of Idaho, which is different than the beauty of Nevada. The trick is to see it everywhere.

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to take my camera with a friend and go explore some of the beauty of Nevada in the form of Red Rock Canyon. We had a wonderful time photographing nature (well, we mostly photographed rocks, but that's still nature...right??). We got to see some of the raw and natural beauty that Las Vegas has to offer; and here are just a few of the many pictures I took that day...enjoy.














6 comments:

Anjeanette said...

Ok, it is beautiful.....still not as beautiful as Idaho....Meridian, to be exact. :)

Angela said...

I agree.

Jerolyn said...

Ang...Great post. I enjoyed it beings I've lived in Idaho, Utah, and Nevada! great pics too.

Chad and Barbi's family said...

You are very talented in photography. I love the perspective you wrote in your blog. It is very beautiful here, but it is totally flat!

zealygirl said...

Way to expand your horizons!

Great pictures.

Donna said...

It's all about perspective, isn't it? Love them all!